Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Prayer

I keep several little blank books with me in my travels around my space & neighborhood. In 1, I have lists -- shopping lists, reminder lists, wish lists. Another holds notes of things I promised my mother I'd do, e.g., fix her email account, figure out how to use her dvd player, etc. A third I've labeled "Scribblings" since I scribble things in it from time to time.

Today, as I sat praying before daily Mass, a prayer came to me with an insistence that I needed to write it down. So here it is.

Lord, let me spend this time with You, silent,
alone. In need, because we are always in need.
Asking nothing except to spend this time with You,
in Your Presence, or, at least, seeking it. At last,
seeking You. Seeking You as I seek to breathe,
to hear, to see. Letting You come to me just
that easily. For You always wait, ready to approach,
ready to enter, ready to meet us just where we live,
in our messy, disordered, sinful lives. You
meet us here and transform us if we dare to say
the simplest "Yes," the quietest "Ave," the loneliest "Amen."
Or if we dare to say nothing at all and simply bow our heads
and listen.
13 January 2010
A couple of other scribblings --
From 2 January 2010: Silence is the room that lets G-D enter.
From sometime in the Fall of 2009: When we are not praying to G-D, G-D is still praying in us.
It has been a long, tiring, satisfying day.

No comments:

Post a Comment