Friday, January 29, 2010

Fasting

I've begun a practice of fasting from food every Friday. It started almost by accident, after I'd inadvertantly eaten something with gluten several weeks ago; whenever I do that that, I lose my appetite for at least 2 days. Around this same time, I'd developed an upper respiratory infection, and no one wants to eat when dealing with one of those. So I made sure to keep myself hydrated, & I allowed my body to recover without forcing it to eat what it didn't want. Finally, I was able to down an "Ensure" -- my least favorite "meal," but it has the necessary nutrients.

I realized, though, that I didn't feel any adverse effects from having not eaten, except for a slight headache -- a typical adverse reaction for me to not eating, & one taken care of by a couple of extra-strength Tylenol. And for 3 of the past 4 Fridays, I've fasted from food. I've kept myself hydrated with seltzer and / or herbal tea, and, for part or all of the day, also "fasted" from noise -- which for me usually means turning the radio off (and I really like NPR!).

With thousands of people in Haiti still not receiving adequate food following the earthquake, and with Lent beginning in just over 2 weeks (on 17 February), beginning a practice of fasting seems to be an appropriate thing to do. The humanitarian crisis in Haiti has continually reminded me of just how much most of us in the US have; how seldom we go hungry; how much we own; how much we take for granted; how isolated and individualized we are; how much we assume that, if we lose any of our belongings, we will be able to replace them easily, quickly, & without difficulty. As I fast, I think of our sisters & brothers in Haiti & in El Agustino in Lima, Peru, & in El Salvador, & in so many other places just in this hemisphere who have so little and whose faith in Christ is so great. And I think of Jesus, who came from & lived among the poor, who came to preach & act the Reign of G-D, who stood with & healed the marginalized, the ill, the disabled. And who calls me to follow His example as I follow Him with my life.

Happy Friday, All!

No comments:

Post a Comment