Monday, January 18, 2010

Latest thoughts on latest news

The news from Haiti has gotten a bit better, although the overall picture is still very grim. So, so many dead; incredible, untold, unimaginable damage; so, so many injured; so, so many needing food, water, medical care, to say nothing of clothes, comfort, reassurance, tenderness, prayers, the Sacraments. I feel so helpless & know that I have few skills to offer, except I'm able to pray.

We did receive good news today from a Norwich Haitian Missionaries Facebook -- as far as reports go, everyone in Zorange survived; there is damage to the church & to some homes, but the people are okay. That was very good news, amidst so much sadness.

And I cannot keep my mind off tomorrow's vote in Massachusetts to fill the Senate seat of the late Ted Kennedy. At this point, it could go either way, and that's ridiculous; the Democrats should have no problem holding that seat. But the Republican, who is opposed to same-gender marriage, opposed to health care reform, opposed to greater regulation of the banks, etc., has closed in on what has apparently been a not-very-well-run campaign by the Democratic nominee, Martha Coakley. I just can't believe it, & I'm sick over it. My 1 regret in leaving Boston is that I cannot vote in this election.

I hadn't written here for a few days; instead, I've been working on the spiritual / religious autobiography, & that takes an enormous amount of emotional / psychic energy. I'm making progress on it, which makes me happy. But it's very slow-going...

That's all for tonight. Time to read more of Rembert Weakland's memoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment